Team Looks Lifeless, Lost, and Hopeless
Today’s post is a combination of D3 and The Godfather SW…………………
Well, this is turning out to be a fantastic season thus far, eh? As a matter of fact, this is almost identical to last year. The Falcons win a few games early in the season (albeit to teams with losing records and a combined record of 3-9), and then they proceed to fall apart and look helpless and lifeless. Mike Smith has lost this team and there’s really no other way to say it. The Falcons aren’t just losing, they are getting embarrassed by double digit points. Worse still, they never seem a threat whatsoever even to make a game of it.
It matters not if the Falcons are still “theoretically in the game” points wise, because they have no fighting spirit and no heart. You can blame the players all you want, but the people that are mainly responsible are the leaders of the organization and that is Mike Smith, Thomas Dimitroff, Rich McKay, and Arthur Blank. If the 2007 debacle-trainwreck of Bobby Petrino and Michael Vick was the low point of this franchise (at least recently), than where does this rank? At this point in time, it really seems that there is only one question to ask…………
Should Arthur Blank Make Changes Now or Later?
Normal logic has that Blank would not fire Mike Smith during the season for everything that he’s done for our franchise, including 4 trips to the playoffs, a trip to the NFC Championship game, back-to-back winning seasons for first time in playoff history, and the winningest Falcons coach in franchise history. It would seem like the right thing to do on the surface. However, it almost seems silly to continue the agony any longer. This team has seemed to fall off the cliff and past the point of no return. And it would be one thing if the season was almost over, but for goodness sake, we’re not even to the halfway point yet. For fans, it has become more of a “have to” exercise in torture than the normal enjoyment.
You would like to allow a coach who’s done so much for the franchise to stay through the season and unless you’re seriously considering any of the assistant coaches as a new hire as head coach (which is very doubtful), what good comes from it? But with all that being said, the Falcons have gotten so bad (arguably one of the worst teams in the NFL), why would you just continue along as usual and try something, ANYTHING to jumpstart this team for the 2nd half of the season? The Baltimore Ravens fired their coordinator right before the playoffs and ended up being a catalyst that propelled them to a Super Bowl win. Granted, that’s not the nearly the same as dumping your head coach, but when a team is so bad, so lost, and and so lifeless, why would you NOT make a change?
Part 2: Requiem or Renaissance.
Special Guest Writer: Roddy E. Nixon, Jr. AKA Seminole Warrior
“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.” Coach Vince Lombardi
I’m not going there this week. Not going to do it!! No value, no ears to hear it, no desire to say it. Not going to do it, you hear me!! Not going to do it.
You saw the game. You have had a front row seat for the last fifteen months. So, on this Sunday evening and for a couple days as the new week unfold, I simply want to ask you
TEN burning questions.
- How do you REALLY feel about your 2014 Atlanta Falcons
- By what measure can the 2014 season be considered a successful one?
- Why has, after SEVEN games, one-third of our total scoring for the season (56 of 171 points) come in one game, the Tampa game
- When will the NEXT victory come for OUR Atlanta Falcons?
- If you could have ONE HOUR with Arthur Blank, what would you offer as a fix action or series of fixes for OUR Atlanta Falcons
- As you see it, DEFINE the MOST pressing need or needs of this football club
- If you had the power to make an IMMEDIATE change at the top, meaning the head coach position, who would you chose and why
- How long do you think it will take to make the Falcons a relevant NFL franchise
- Why or why not do you think this Falcons organization will EVER hoist the Lombardi Trophy?
- With its pick in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons do what?